Friday 11 March 2011

Top 10 classics you have to beg for at a retro night

Ok, I know what you're thinking, there are far better, far rarer tracks that should be played and you might have heard these played out recently. But wait, go with me on this one. I'm saying these tunes are either underplayed or demand more respect. I know in the last few years I've not heard these and I demand to know why!

1) Jack ‘N’ Chill - The Jack That House Built
It's an hypnotic, instantly recognizable house instrumental that was one of the first house hits produced in the UK (it reached no. 6 in the mainstream sales chart in February 1988). I think this is why it's not regarded higher. It is
pre-90's, but hell what a production. This tune still sounds incredibly fresh. It is structured like a real song with some amazing breakdowns and builds. On vinyl the cut is as loud as thunder. To drop this tune should be a no brainer. Why it's not on DJ's playlists I simply don't get. Shame on you all.



2) Sined Roza – I Don’t Know What

It is It's pure class Italian that doesn't really fit alongside some of the big piano monsters from 1990. No vocals and no piano has probably ment it's slipped off the radar. But wait! What a production! Firstly it's a cover version of an obscure 80's electronic track called 'Witness The Change' by Pete Shelley from the Buzzcocks. But what the Italians gave it was plenty of drive. It does kick and should be heard more often.





3) Awesome 3 - Hard Up

In a nutshell it's a more sophisticated version of Hardcore Uproar without the giddy "bah bah bah, baby please do it this time!"vocal. It was a bit of a cash in, coming off the back of Hardcore Uproar's success, but in many ways, they produced a great version of their own. If the intro doesn't get you going, then there's something really wrong with ya. The next retro night I go to, I'm bloody well taking my copy and sticking it on myself. Awesome as the name suggests.




4) Dilemma – In Spirit
"In Spirit" by Dilemma sampled Rondò Veneziano's "La Serenissima" to create a powerful and quite emotionally charged cut. It's been remixed plenty of times, most of which have been frankly shocking. Stick with the original. Yes it's slow, but few tracks come loaded with such stiring passion. I have seen 20 year old men break down in tears to this on a dancefloor. (Seriously!) More plays please.





5) Denise Lopez - Don't You Wanna Be Mine (The Clivillés And Cole House Dub)

Vocal Club Mix. 7 out of 10. The House Dub. Off the scale! Why is this version so overlooked? Is it because it's hard to come by? I have it on a white bootleg, surely it's not that hard to track down. Stripping out most of the vocals and leaving selected ones in for the dub makes this so much better. Tell me i'm not the only one who thinks the same please!





Transformer 2 - Pacific Symphony
Another track that borows it's ideas massively from another, this time 808 State's Pacific. It's got similar strings and nature noises, but adds it's own ideas to boot. The original version of Pacific Symphony works best for me, it's a really pure and simple production. Reminds me of a big night out in Liverpool back in the day. Worth a dust off in my opinion.






Landlord – I like it

One of the all-time house music classics - but that little bit more obscure than most of its counterparts. The piano riff is instantly familiar. Probably because it has been sampled 1000's of times. Thing is, this beauty still sounds fresh today. It was heavily played out by likes of grooverider, ellis dee, dougal, etc back in 1990. The blow out dub is the standout track, which captures the true atmosphere of the warehouse scene. You rarely hear this record being played out, god knows why??? This is one of those pioneering, early house records that has actually stood the test of time.











Paris Red – Good Friend















Rhythm Invention – Ad Infinitum












Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000002609 StartFragment:0000002301 EndFragment:0000002573

Yo!Bots - I Got It




No comments:

Post a Comment